We are working with a growing, successful company operating in the financial services sector. Our client leverages an agile, fast-paced, and innovative environment emphasizing intentional growth with a commitment to making a significant impact in the investment industry and building a versatile and resilient team.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organization offering an entrepreneurial platform, a commitment to diversity and wellness, and opportunities for growth and career development.
Job Description – Senior Legal Counsel (Technology)
Reporting to the GC, the Senior Legal Counsel (Technology) will serve as a member of the Legal and Governance team. The successful candidate will provide legal advice and support across numerous functional areas, including but not limited to, contracts, general corporate commercial and technology matters, and corporate governance.
As the ideal candidate, you will have a minimum of seven years’ corporate commercial experience including demonstrated working knowledge of a variety of contracts, general corporate legal advice, internal policies and frameworks and application of constantly evolving regulation to day-to-day corporate operations. Experience at a top-tier Toronto law firm and/or in-house at a large institution with demonstrated strong commercial judgment and operational lens is preferred.
Familiarity with in-house environments at large institutions, ideally coming from a tech company, would be advantageous. The successful candidate will benefit from a cross-functional, operationally focused experience and collaborate closely with diverse stakeholder groups.
This role offers a hybrid work model (~2 days / week in office).
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the General Counsel, work directly with diverse internal stakeholders across the organization, including Finance, Compliance, Data and Technology, Communications, People, Investments and Responsible Investing and other business partners to provide proactive legal advice and commercial solutions.
- Manage responsibilities and projects including contracts negotiation and drafting, corporate policy development and application, labour and employment advice, pension and investment matters, and regulatory compliance.
- Advise colleagues and other cross-functional stakeholders on legal issues and risks, approval processes, organizational policies, and procedures.
- Participate in transactional negotiations and post-merger integration and transformation.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes, and repositories of legal knowledge.
- Monitor emerging legal and regulatory requirements to proactively assess their impact on the company and recommend changes to the General Counsel.
- Assist the General Counsel regarding governance matters, Board of Trustee and Committee meetings and related requirements.
- Work with external legal counsel as required from time to time.
- Promote integration, partnership and collaboration across legal, governance, and other business functions.
- Contribute to the organization's reputation as a respectful employer, partner and participant in the financial sector.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 7+ years of post-call experience in corporate commercial law.
- In-house experience at a large organization is an asset.
- Experience negotiating commercial technology agreements, including SaaS, software licenses, and professional services agreements, is an asset.
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a time sensitive manner.
- Excellent relationship building and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative approach to understand and respond to organizational needs and partner with various organizational and control functions.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Strong commercial and strategic judgment.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: