LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
Kindly note you can work from any city that has a presence of Economical Office in Ontario - Toronto, Mississauga, Kitchener, Waterloo, London and Ottawa.
What can you expect in this role?
- Working collaboratively with many areas of the company to review, draft, interpret and negotiate various types of agreements, including licenses, professional services, SaaS and other cloud-based services
- Analyzing and interpreting various matters as they relate to the operations of a P&C insurance company, advising a diverse range of operating units on legal issues, regulatory compliance, intellectual property, and negotiation and contract management strategy
- Consulting with other members of our Legal team and acting as a primary source of expertise to provide sound advice and drive consistency in Economical’s approach to partnering with vendors and other third parties
- Participating in the continuous improvement of our processes and systems for contracting and legal risk management
- Providing assistance for strategic initiatives as required
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to join Economical’s corporate legal team, with excellent opportunities for additional exposure, learning and professional growth.
What do you bring to the role?
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario to practice law as a lawyer in Ontario
- At least 5 years of post-call experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements, such as strategic partnerships, goods and services, software and other licensing arrangements, service level agreements, cloud-based services and other technology-related offerings
- At least two years of technology transaction experience, including data privacy and security
- Exposure to insurance or other financial sectors will be of interest
- Excellent communication, research and drafting skills, including the capacity to communicate with business partners in the way they want to be dealt with
- Outstanding judgment and ability to deal with complex issues and safeguard confidential information
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities
- Willingness to build strong business relationships
- Exemplary professionalism and integrity
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Full job posting: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ECONOMICALINSURANCE&cws=1&rid=13392