From coast-to-coast, our inspiring colleagues are at the heart of what we do best: helping people, businesses and society prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. With our team, you’ll bring this purpose to life every day by living our Values, being open to change, and pursuing your goals.
At Intact, we’ll give you countless opportunities to learn and grow, alongside a diverse and passionate community of experts – the best the industry has to offer. You’ll be empowered to be your best self, do your best work, and make a meaningful impact. Here, you can: shape the future of insurance, win as a team, and grow with us.
We offer you more than just a career. As a Senior Legal Counsel, working here means that you can focus on doing what you do best: being a great lawyer. With Canada’s largest in-house P&C insurance litigation team, you can say ‘goodbye!’ to business development and ‘hello!’ to active collaboration within a team environment, work flexibility, being supported by your colleagues and feeling valued.
About the role
With our Legal Claims team, you’ll be at the hart of what we do best: helping people. Guided by our values of respect, integrity, excellence, being customer-driven and generosity, you’ll have the freedom to manage and be creative in your approach to resolve property, casualty or specialty insurance litigation files. With your exceptional litigation and analytical skills, you will take a creative and proactive approach to file resolution.
This is a full-time permanent opportunity based in Calgary, AB.
What you’ll do here:
- Join a high-performing team of legal professionals driven to achieve Intact strategic goals related to indemnity and expense control
- Work with autonomy in your practice and collaborate with colleagues including lawyers, adjusters and the legal support team
- Handle insurance defence files of varying complexities from beginning to conclusion
- Assess claims with a focus on controlling indemnity but, at the same time, be pragmatic with a view to proactive and efficient resolution
- Support your Intact colleagues from other departments with assistance on inquiries and with educational activities
- You share our values of respect, integrity, excellence, customer-driven and generosity – this will show through your work and your support of our customers, our claims partners, and our legal colleagues
- Your strong organization skills will help you manage independently a busy practice, including working effectively with legal support staff including legal assistants, paralegals, and administrative support employees
- Your interpersonal skills, your natural ability to build effective client relationships and work collaboratively with others will make you a great team player and contribute to the positive work environment
- Your ability to think outside the box, find novel solutions and be a pragmatic problem solver will help achieve strategic goals
The ideal candidate is/has:
- A member in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta
- Experience in insurance defence, personal injury, and/or corporate/commercial litigation
- Comfortable with technology and digital solutions in the practice of law
- Proven competencies with drafting pleadings, research and analysis, conducting discoveries and preparing for it and conducting ADR and all litigation steps up to and including trial
- Proven experience with alternative dispute resolution, including independent preparation and conduct of mediations
- Strong communication and negotiating skills
- Experience in the following areas, considered an asset: Property Claims, Construction Litigation, Personal Injury, Subrogation, Director and Officers/Errors and Omissions Liability and Employment Practices Liability
- Ability to periodically travel throughout Alberta to defend claims brought in other Judicial Districts
The perks of working “in-house” at Intact:
- Opportunity to focus on doing great work
- Be a part of a collaborative, inclusive community that values all individuals and perspectives
- Competitive pension plan including defined benefit and defined contribution options
- Comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- Industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- An extensive, flex benefits package plus access to virtual health care
- An annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
- A company-matching Community Impact program that gives employees the flexibility to choose how and where you give, in ways that are meaningful to them. Intact will amplify efforts by matching donations, time spent volunteering, or both!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our value of Respect is founded on seeing diversity as a strength, being inclusive and fostering collaboration. We value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please advise the Talent Acquisition partner who reaches out about the job opportunity and they will work with you to meet your needs.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that internal and external candidates will be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
Eligibility to Work in Canada
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.