Senior Legal Counsel Lawyer Job in Vancouver or Toronto, Canada
Aviso Wealth is one of Canada’s largest independent wealth management firms with more than $90 billion in assets under management and administration. Aviso Wealth provides credit unions and institutional and retail wealth organizations with comprehensive, integrated wealth management services and solutions. Aviso Wealth is owned by the Credit Union Centrals, The Co-operators/CUMIS and Desjardins.
Aviso Wealth’s award-winning online brokerage, Qtrade Investor, and digital advice platform, VirtualWealth, give Canadians flexible choices for building their wealth. Aviso Wealth asset manager, NEI Investments, is a Canadian leader in Responsible Investment funds and portfolios, which are available through a national network of advisors. The Company has major operations in Vancouver and Toronto, along with regional offices across Canada.
Aviso Wealth is dedicated to improving the financial well-being of Canadians. As a leading wealth management organization, Aviso Wealth is committed to service, partnership, and innovation. Offering a competitive compensation package, this is an exciting opportunity for a business-minded and talented lawyer to join an entrepreneurial, growing organization providing interesting and challenging work, a dynamic culture, and a strong commitment to the success and career growth of its people.
Job Description – Senior Legal Counsel Lawyer
Our client is seeking to add a Senior Legal Counsel Lawyer to its team in either Vancouver or Toronto, and offers a hybrid work model (three days in office, two days at home). Reporting to the SVP, Chief Legal Officer, Chief Governance Officer, the Senior Legal Counsel will focus primarily (but not exclusively) on the NEI Investments division, which offers Canadian investors a range of retail mutual funds often with an Environmental, Sustainable and Governance focus. The position will also be responsible for contributing to the growth of Aviso Wealth’s other lines of business, as well as its corporate governance program.
Success in this position requires the consideration of both internal and external stakeholders and demonstrated intent of understanding and putting the clients’ needs first. Commitment to your professional goals and the ability to get the job done, as well as the talent to collaborate and build trust and relationships (both internally and externally) are essential.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Prepare and maintain all manner of investment fund continuous disclosure, agreements, and other documents, including offering documents, unitholder materials, sub-advisor agreements, and client communications.
- Draft and review contracts, agreements, and other legal documentation with external parties. Represent Aviso in negotiation of business agreements with third parties.
- Ensure all relevant legal agreements with external parties are finalized and executed. Prepare, review, revise and approve standard documentation, forms, agreements, and related materials.
- Provide timely advice and support to Aviso’s Asset Management division, as well as senior management, on a range of legal issues, often with a focus on product development and securities regulation.
- Effectively manage external counsel, while ensuring cost control over the utilization of such resources.
- Interpret securities laws as they apply to Aviso’s products and services.
- Keep senior management aware of material legal issues impacting Aviso’s investment funds and other areas of operation.
- Stay current with industry and legal developments to ensure Aviso’s practices are in line with those of leading firms.
- Liaise in a proactive, problem-solving manner with other functional areas on matters such as product development, sales and marketing, and product distribution.
- Assist other members of Aviso’s legal department with its responsibilities as directed.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 6+ years of corporate law experience, ideally knowledge of mutual funds, at a major law firm and/or in house within the wealth management and/or securities regulatory industry.
- Business experiences an asset, particularly in the wealth management industry.
- Knowledge of securities law and practice, particularly as it relates to wealth management
- Completion of the Canadian Securities Course and/or the Partners, Directors & Senior Officers course considered an asset.
- Aptitude for maintaining and enhancing relationships with internal clients, senior management, and external parties including external counsel.
- Ability to research and determine applicable legal requirements and recommend appropriate and practical business options and solutions.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, time management and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work co-operatively with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining accuracy in work product.
- Bilingual French skills are an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
416.364.6654 / 604.643.1708