At Intact, insurance is not about things. It’s about people. It’s what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It’s why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create an inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in.
As Canada’s largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we’re not only leading our industry, but we’re redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we’re committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters.
About the role
We’re looking for Legal Counsel - Insurance Defence to join our growing team!
Intact Insurance Company has a team of over 180 litigators in 12 locations across Canada, including 4 Ontario cities. Due to continued growth, Intact is seeking dynamic litigators for our team. If you pride yourself on being a skilled litigator, who has appeared at all court levels in Ontario and the License Appeal Tribunal, then Intact Insurance is looking for you!
We are looking for lawyers with 5+ years of insurance litigation experience, including the defence of property files, casualty files and accident benefits claims. We are also looking for lawyers with experience handling specialty lines work, including the defence of marine, long-haul trucking, entertainment, class action, director & officer and errors & omissions claims.
The position is available in Toronto and Mississauga.
- Be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.
- Have expertise in drafting pleadings, conducting discoveries, mediations and trials/arbitrations.
- Have superior organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple case files simultaneously.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective client relationships.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, combined with research and negotiation experience.
- Analytical skills, ability to work independently, and solid communication skills
- Set high standards, be an agent of change, adaptive, with a strong drive to outperform.
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- Flexibility in how and where you work
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive, flexible benefits package
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A casual ‘dress for your day’ culture that encourages you to be yourself
- A $350 annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our value of Respect is founded on seeing diversity as a strength, being inclusive and fostering collaboration. We value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please advise the Talent Acquisition partner who reaches out about the job opportunity and they will work with you to meet your needs.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that internal and external candidates will be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
Eligibility to Work in Canada
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
This posting closes on July 30, 2021