Finning is the world's largest Caterpillar dealer delivering unrivalled service for over 85 years. They sell, rent, and provide parts and services for equipment and engines to customers in various industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry, and a wide range of power systems applications.
Since 1933, when Finning was first established in Canada by Earl B. Finning, the name has conveyed integrity, reliability, and resourcefulness. Over the years, the company has grown as a result of a genuine commitment to earning customer loyalty. With broad product support infrastructure and unmatched service capabilities, Finning delivers solutions that enable customers to achieve the lowest equipment owning and operating costs while maximizing uptime.
Offering a competitive compensation package, this is a tremendous opportunity for a business-minded lawyer seeking a dynamic role with a leading Canadian organization. Candidates based in Edmonton or Calgary are welcome to apply.
Job Description – Senior Legal Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, Finning is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join its team. Reporting to Associate General Counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will operate as the legal and strategic leader for the Canadian leadership teams and support global initiatives and strategies.
This individual will be a critical strategic business partner responsible for providing value added strategic advice and recommendations that lead to insightful business decision making. The opportunity is open to candidates located in Edmonton or Calgary. For Calgary-based candidates, occasional travel to Edmonton will be required.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide business-oriented leadership, strategic advice, proactive and effective day-to-day legal support and counsel to the business on a wide variety of legal issues (provincial, regional or global) while ensuring strategies, programs, policies, practices and initiatives comply with applicable laws.
- Partner with business leaders to provide legal advice related to strategic business decisions.
- Partner and collaborate with the General Counsel and regional Associate General Counsel on matters, transactions, or assignments as appropriate.
- Manage complex and sensitive assignments and recommend effective legal strategies and tactics; advise on legal rights, obligations and privileges and make recommendations to management on legal ramifications of management strategies and decisions.
- Negotiate, draft and review high risk and high value regional and global contracts with key Finning customers.
- Areas of focus will include: Business development and/or M&A; insurance claims and risk management; procurement; litigation and legal claims management; data security/privacy; commercial real estate/facilities; environment, health and safety; digital and IT.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society (preferably Alberta).
- Previous in-house experience will be considered an asset.
- 10+ years of corporate commercial law experience.
- Strong knowledge of legislation, jurisprudence, and case law relevant to the areas of practice and responsibility.
- Strong analytical and negotiating skills.
- Excellent leadership, motivational, diplomacy, presentation and influencing skills.
- Ability to be proactive and lead change.
- Superior problem solving and decision-making with sound judgment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Desire to continuously develop skills and knowledge.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with high volumes of work and to appropriately prioritize work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to balance interests, hear all sides and provide clear and objective advice.
- Proficient in legal research.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Meaghan Loughry, Recruitment Associate
Sameera Sereda, Managing Partner
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.