In-House Counsel, Municipal Planning Lawyer Job in Vaughan, Canada
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground up, the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre containing a bustling subway and the opening of a state-of-the-art hospital in 2021, there are many exciting projects that are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada. It is an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, The City of Vaughan continuously employs workplace best-practices.
Offering a comprehensive compensation package, work-life balance and opportunities for professional development and growth, this is a tremendous opportunity for a talented lawyer with a passion for public service and visionary thinking to join a collaborative, collegial, and entrepreneurial team.
Job Description – In-House Counsel, Municipal Planning Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, our client is seeking a Municipal Planning Lawyer to join its team. Reporting to the Deputy City Solicitor, Planning & Real Estate Law, the successful candidate will provide a full range of legal services, opinions, and advice to the municipality on all matters related to planning and development law. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years of planning law experience in the private or public sector, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and superior negotiation skills.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide a full range of legal services, opinions, and advice to City Council, Senior Management and staff, regarding planning and development municipal matters.
- Appear before courts and tribunals, including the Ontario Land Tribunal.
- Provide clear and concise advice with respect to all aspects of municipal planning and land use development matters.
- Draft reports and provide advice to Council in both public and in-camera forums.
- Manage the appeals filed to the Ontario Land Tribunal regarding the City’s new Comprehensive Zoning By-law.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 5+ years of planning law experience in the private or public sector.
- Experience appearing before the Ontario Land Tribunal.
- Knowledge and understanding of statutes, regulations and by-laws affecting municipal government on planning and development matters.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound legal advice to Members of Council, Senior Management, and City Staff.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: