From coast-to-coast, our inspiring colleagues are at the heart of what we do best: helping people, businesses and society prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. With our team, you’ll bring this purpose to life every day by living our Values, being open to change, and pursuing your goals.
At Intact, we’ll give you countless opportunities to learn and grow, alongside a diverse and passionate community of experts – the best the industry has to offer. You’ll be empowered to be your best self, do your best work, and make a meaningful impact. Here, you can: shape the future of insurance, win as a team, and grow with us.
About the role
We offer you more than just a career. As an In-House Legal Counsel, Accident Benefits, working here means that you can focus on doing what you do best: being a great lawyer. With Canada’s largest in-house P&C insurance litigation team, you can say ‘goodbye!’ to business development and ‘hello!’ to work flexibility, being supported and feeling valued.
With our Legal Claims team, you’ll be at the heart of what we do best: helping people. Guided by our values of respect, integrity, excellence, being customer-driven and generosity, you’ll have the freedom to manage and be creative in your approach to resolve accident benefits, loss transfer and priority dispute files.
This is a full-time permanent opportunity based in Toronto or Mississauga.
What you’ll do here:
- Work with autonomy in your practice and collaborate with a high-performing team of lawyers, adjusters, and legal support professionals – the best in the industry
- Help Intact achieve strategic goals related to indemnity and expense control
- Handle casualty and property insurance defence files of varying complexities from beginning to end
- Appear before all levels of court including attending on motions and at trial
- Handle accident benefits disputes, loss transfer and priority dispute files from beginning to end
- Appear before the License Appeal Tribunal and prepare written and oral submissions as needed
- Assess claims with a focus on controlling indemnity but, at the same time, be pragmatic with a view to proactive and efficient resolution
- Share knowledge and coach your Intact colleagues both inside and outside your department
What you bring to the table:
- Strong organization, communication and negotiation skills that will help you manage a busy practice, including working effectively with legal support staff including legal assistants, law clerks, and administrative support employees
- Strong interpersonal skills, a natural ability to work collaboratively with others and to build effective client relationships that will make you a great team player and contribute to the positive work environment
- An ability to think outside the box, find novel solutions and be a pragmatic problem solver
The ideal candidate is/has:
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Proven experience in assessing and handling Accident Benefits files
- Experience at the Licence Appeal Tribunal
- Experience in attending private arbitrations would be considered an asset
- Experience handling catastrophic accident benefit claims is an asset
- Proficient and comfortable with digital solutions in the practice of law
- Competency with drafting pleadings, research and analysis, conducting discoveries and preparing for and conducting mediations and all litigation steps up to and including trial
- Excellent communication and negotiator skills
- Ability to periodically travel throughout Ontario to defend claims
The perks of working “in-house” at Intact:
- Be a part of a collaborative, inclusive community that values all individuals and perspectives
- Competitive pension plan including defined benefit and defined contribution options
- Comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- Industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- An extensive, flexible benefits package plus access to virtual health care
- An annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
- A company-matching Community Impact program that gives employees the flexibility to choose how and where you give, in ways that are meaningful to them. Intact will amplify efforts by matching donations, time spent volunteering, or both!
Flexible Work Arrangements
Right now, we support 100% remote work, if your role permits. Once it’s safe to do so, we will move to a hybrid approach which will give everyone the best of both worlds – a mix of home and in-office workdays. Schedules will be determined in partnership between individuals, managers, and the team.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our value of Respect is founded on seeing diversity as a strength, being inclusive and fostering collaboration. We value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please advise the Talent Acquisition partner who reaches out about the job opportunity and they will work with you to meet your needs.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that internal and external candidates will be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
Eligibility to Work in Canada
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.