Legal Counsel in Calgary or Edmonton, Canada
Finning International Inc. (FTT: TSX) is the world's largest Caterpillar dealer, delivering unrivalled service for over 85 years. Finning sells, rents, and provides parts and services for equipment and engines to customers in various industries including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry, and a wide range of power systems applications.
Since 1933, when Finning was first established in Canada by Earl B. Finning, the name has conveyed integrity, reliability, and resourcefulness. Over the years, the company has grown as a result of a genuine commitment to earning customer loyalty. With broad product support infrastructure and unmatched service capabilities, Finning delivers solutions that enable customers to achieve the lowest equipment owning and operating costs while maximizing uptime.
This is a tremendous opportunity for a business-minded lawyer seeking a dynamic role with a leading Canadian organization that offers work-life balance and breadth of practice. Candidates based in Edmonton or Calgary are welcome to apply.
Job Description – Legal Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, Finning Canada is seeking a Legal Counsel to join its team. Under the direction of Finning Canada’s Associate General Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel, this position supports the delivery of legal services to Finning Canada, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and related entities. This position is also involved in day-to-day leadership and supporting growth and development opportunities.
The opportunity is open to candidates located in Edmonton or Calgary. For Calgary-based candidates, occasional travel to Edmonton will be required.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide support to various business units by delivering legal advice and internal coordination on day-to-day legal matters affecting Finning Canada’s operations.
- Contract drafting, review and negotiation of sales and rental contracts with Finning customers and procurement contracts with Finning suppliers.
- Other legal matters as delegated from the Associate General Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel from time to time including employment law, privacy, leasing, insurance and risk management, and debt collections.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society (preferably Alberta).
- 3 to 5 years post-call corporate commercial experience gained with a national or strong regional business law firm, or in-house with a comparable business.
- Skilled in analysis, drafting and negotiating.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation, jurisprudence, and case law relevant to the areas of practice and responsibility.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills including the ability to engender trust, respect and confidence.
- Ability to form strong internal relationships and possessing a strong internal client and customer focus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with high volumes of work and comfortable working both remotely ad in-office.
- Ability to work with velocity and respond quickly to address frequently changing internal client needs, issues and priorities.
- Ability to work both independently, with input as needed from the Associate General Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel, as well as collaboratively, with peers and business units.
- Approach must be practical and business-oriented, with an entrepreneurial attitude that is aligned with the mission and core values of Finning.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Strong customer service skills with a keen eye for detail and commitment to quality.
- Spanish language skills are an asset.
- This is an exclusive search.
- The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
- For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
- Sameera Sereda, Managing Partner