LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
Economical Insurance is continuing its build of an in-house legal team that will act in litigation arising from claims under its insurance policies.
The Legal Assistant will be part of the Economical legal department and will be responsible for assisting in all administrative duties. The successful candidate will work under the direction and guidance of a lawyer and will assist with tasks as assigned.
- Responsible for the ongoing administrative/organization of files (opening/closing files, entering details into ACL and PC Law, requesting cheques, maintaining a paperless system, uploading documents received, and other tasks as assigned)
- Draft correspondence and service of court documents; E-filing of Court documents
- Schedule examinations, mediations and other events as requested
- Maintaining Legal Counsel’s calendar and supervising their practice
- Provide input into the procedures and practices
- Work within a paperless environment
- Perform other duties as required of a Litigation Assistant
What do you bring to the role?
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Legal Assistant as part of a team practicing insurance/tort litigation in Ontario
- Knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure
- Demonstrated proficiency with Outlook and all MS Office applications
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard privilege and confidential information
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, yet sometimes conflicting priorities
- Team player, adaptable to a changing environment
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.