In-House Counsel, IT Lawyer in Toronto, Canada
Our client, Manulife is a leading international financial services group. With global headquarters in Toronto, Manulife operates across offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily operates as John Hancock in the United States. Manulife has more than 37,000 employees, over 115,000 agents serving ~30 million customers worldwide, and over $1.3 trillion in assets under management and administration. Manulife provides financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups, and institutions.
This is a tremendous opportunity for an ambitious lawyer to join an established and progressive company offering work-life balance, opportunities for career growth, and a collaborative work environment.
Job Description – In-House Counsel, IT Lawyer
Manulife is seeking a lawyer with general commercial law and information technology (“IT”) expertise to join its legal team in Toronto. The ideal candidate will have experience negotiating, drafting, and advising on a wide range of commercial agreements and projects.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Negotiate, draft, and advise on all manner of commercial agreements and related documentation, with a strong focus on:
- SaaS agreements, master service agreements, software licensing & support, and development contracts;
- procurement related agreements (IT and non-IT) including requests for proposal (“RFP”), requests for information (“RFI”);
- knowledge of data security regulations, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements;
- working with internal business units to create detailed statements of work; and
- highly regulated outsourcing agreements.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 1-6 years of relevant post-qualification experience with a law firm or in-house legal department.
- Strong academic background.
- Excellent work ethic, superior presentation and writing skills.
- The ability to prioritize and work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working for regulated financial institutions is an asset but not a requirement.
Manulife embraces diversity and strives to attract, develop, and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers it serves and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. Manulife is committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and administers all of its practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Meaghan Loughry, Recruitment Associate