Waterloo, ON, CA, N2V 1C6
Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
The Descartes Systems Group Inc. is an established and rapidly growing software company in the Kitchener-Waterloo tech community that seeks to add a Commercial Counsel to its legal team at its corporate head office in Waterloo. This role will provide broad exposure to a variety of matters related to the management and operations of an international publicly traded technology company with a focus on commercial issues.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements including customer and channel contracts;
- Developing and revising agreement templates for new product offerings;
- Implementing and ensuring compliance with standard contracting processes and contract requirements; and
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory changes in numerous jurisdictions and evaluating their impact on Descartes’ business operations.
- Experience working with a technology company on the customer facing side of its business, including experience drafting, negotiating and advising on a variety of commercial transactions such as software licensing, SaaS agreements, hosting arrangements, service level agreements and professional services engagements.
- Knowledge or experience in one or more of the following areas: software, SaaS, e-commerce, denied or restricted party screening, or trade content and classification.
- n-depth knowledge of commercial law in a variety of areas relevant to technology transactions with an emphasis on intellectual property and global privacy law.
- Ability to assess issues from non-legal perspectives when providing support to product managers and other business units.
- Sound judgment and a level of commercial sophistication gained from being on the front-lines of drafting and negotiating numerous types of technology transactions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong work ethic and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at the same time, effectively adapt to changes in those priorities, handle competing demands, meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Membership in good standing in the Law Society of Upper Canada with a minimum of 3 years’ experience, including at least 1 year “in-house”, preferably in the software industry.
- Ability to adopt a flexible work schedule from time to time to accommodate international time zones and/or peak work periods.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communications skills, in both languages English and Spanish
- This is a remote opportunity with occasional travel to our corporate office in Waterloo, open to applicants authorized to work in Canada.
- We offer a flexible and casual work environment, as well as mentorship and on-the-job training to support your personal growth. You will have an opportunity to contribute new ideas and we welcome your fresh perspective.
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology. We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success. At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best argument wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory.
Descartes also has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Learn more about how we helped our customers save over 552,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 by reducing fuel and paper consumption: https://www.descartes.com/who-we-are/social-responsibility-sustainability/environmental-impact. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best argument wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory. If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can't promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Due to COVID-19, we've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video (Microsoft TEAMS) and are on-boarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we're all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics at Descartes.com. Descartes is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. Applicants in North America with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can email us at email@example.com. Provide your name and contact information along with the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process. Your request will be responded to as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.